Someone Has Poisoned Me - Part 10

Srila Prabhupada's Poisoning by Arsenic  Someone Has Poisoned Me
Download complete book as HTML ZIP-File
Download the E-Book: Someone has poisoned me

The Facts About Srila Prabhupada's Poisoning by Arsenic
Part 10 - - Chapter 21 to Chapter 24

"So as Krishna was attempted to be killed... And Lord Jesus Christ was killed.
So they may kill me also." (Srila Prabhupada, May 3, l976, Honolulu)
"my only request is , that at the last stage don't torture me, and put me to death"
(from SPC Vol. 36, November 3, 1977 tape recorded Room Conversation)

Part 10



Until January 1977, Srila Prabhupada remained in fairly good health, maintaining an energetic and busy schedule, and the first significant downturn in health occurred while at the Kumbha Mela on January 12-13.


Srila Prabhupada: So that, some Swami Chand?

Hari Sauri: Chandra Swami, minister for Air India. He's supposed to be wanting to see Prabhupada. He's coming to the Mela.

Gurudas: I'll look into that. You told me last time… So do you think I should organize this meeting with Chandra Swami also…? Or just meet him to get him to see you. Not any special, but I mean to say that he knows the situation. He can…

Srila Prabhupada: Or if he wants to see, he may come. He may find out.

Gurudas: Yes. He should come to see you.

Srila Prabhupada: Orissa is good for health?

Gurudas: Yes, he (Gargamuni) says.

Srila Prabhupada: Let him come to Bhubaneshwar, and I want to start a temple.

Gurudas: Yes. Your health is…?

Srila Prabhupada: From yesterday it is good.

Gurudas: 'Cause you cooked for yourself.

Srila Prabhupada: No. Because I could eat a little… Just rice, dahl, and vegetable.(A15) That's all, nothing extraordinary.

Gurudas: And you put lot of spice in it or not?

Srila Prabhupada: No. (Con:29.7-13)

Later, Srila Prabhupada spoke with a life member/ doctor:

Guest: How is your health?

Srila Prabhupada: Not good.

Guest: No, but you are taking that medicine or…?

Srila Prabhupada: I stopped that medicine.

Guest: Too much bitter, I think.

Srila Prabhupada: Not only bitter. I got some trouble in the teeth.

Guest: Pills are taken or not taken?

Srila Prabhupada: Pills? No. If required I shall take again.

Hansadutta: I heard you're not feeling well.

Srila Prabhupada: No. (Con:29.44)

Later, speaking with Mr. Asnani, the lawyer, and another guest:

Srila Prabhupada: And because my health is not good, if Allahabad atmosphere or Bhubaneshwar atmosphere helps me little, it is… Of all foodstuff, I see the kitri is good for me, little kitri.

Mr. Asnani: Easily digested also.(A15)

Srila Prabhupada: So I shall begin again kitri.

Guest: I came other day and you were advised by the doctors not to see you.

Srila Prabhupada: No- doctor says like that. I see everyone.

Guest: That was the first day with the doctor. You accepted that doctor's decision.

Srila Prabhupada: So I did not like that idea.

Guest: No, but sometimes, just to keep… So we, all the devotees, always pray to our Lord to give you long physical body and healthy so that the cause which you have taken up in your hand should be completely fulfilled. So for our sake your body has to last… because medically you are not advised to. You talk less… (Con:29.63-7)

Later Srila Prabhupada discusses His own medical neem program:

Srila Prabhupada: Then I can take two pills in the morning. That will help. This neem (A15), tickly, and bara is very good. But you people say that…(laughs)

Hari Sauri: The ghee's not.

Srila Prabhupada: Ghee's not good, that I can understand. But without little ghee, we cannot eat at all.

Hari Sauri: There's no harm for a small amount.

Srila Prabhupada: We have to take very little.(A15)

Srila Prabhupada then asked that Arundhati cook fresh neem leaves in chick pea flour batter, like spinach pakoras, called baras. Neem had a good medical effect on Srila Prabhupada's digestion problems.(A15) (Con:29.76)

JANUARY 9:  Srila Prabhupada told Gopal Krishna that a certain medicine was "very bitter." Palika was cooking for Srila Prabhupada, and asked today what kind of dahl He would like. (Con:29.144, 152)

Setting out before dawn, Srila Prabhupada walked for an hour on the beach in Bombay so briskly that His disciples "were flagging"behind Him. Srila Prabhupada suddenly said, "There is a very big conspiracy against us." Dr. Patel inquired, "By the church? By the society?" Srila Prabhupada answered, "No. Hmm. Now they are determined to cut down this movement." Despite further inquiries, Srila Prabhupada would not give further details, but deprogramming was the current issue. (Sat:6.213)

Rameshwar replaced Jagadish as the monthly GBC secretary, and said in the morning, "Srila Prabhupada, you look well." (Sat:6.215)

JANUARY 10: The vigor with which Srila Prabhupada gave lectures and had numerous daily meetings, darshans and discussions during early January 1977 is to be noted.  Yet, Srila Prabhupada  "was now 81 and was bothered by certain persistent illnesses." (Sat:6.215)  It seems that the reader of Satsvarupa's biography is being prepared for Srila Prabhupada's oncoming health deterioration, but it does so without much in specifics or detail whatsoever. No train tickets were available to Allahabad for the Kumbha Mela, but R.N. Gupta, Chief Engineer of Railways, arranged for a special car for Srila Prabhupada and the devotees. (Sat:6.219)

JANUARY 11: En route to the Kumbha Mela by train, Srila Prabhupada preached to His disciples for four hours and then took some lunch. Later, Srila Prabhupada asked,"You have got sugar candy?"H

After Hari Sauri could not find any, Srila Prabhupada asked again, "Sugar? Where you'll find?"When Rameshwar offered that Pradyumna had some sweet mango, Srila Prabhupada declined the offer. Again He asked, "Mango candy? Grape candy?" Finally Hari Sauri located some mango candy. This demonstrates that Srila Prabhupada's diabetes was not so serious to the point that He could not take candy or sugar. (Con:29.182-236)

JANUARY 12: KUMBHA MELA  Srila Prabhupada arrived in Allahabad at 9:00 AM and met with His old doctor friend Dr. G. Ghosh. (Abhiram) Arriving at the site of ISKCON's camp, Srila Prabhupada became very upset at the poor location, lack of electricity, and absence of food for distribution. Srila Prabhupada asked Bhavananda and the Mayapur devotees to salvage the event with walking Sankirtan party and book distribution. (Sat:6.227)

JANUARY 13: All night Srila Prabhupada was very cold, sitting fully clothed by His desk with a small kerosene heater. "By morning, Srila Prabhupada had a bad cold with runny nose and eyes (A8)....His hands and feet were swollen (AK17), something that had happened to him before during illnesses."(Sat:6.228)

JANUARY 14: Abhiram Prabhu noted that, "Srila Prabhupada was a little swollen, not feeling well, very uncomfortable.(A4) His hands and feet were swelling, He was very ill with a mucus problem (A3)." Srila Prabhupada went for a slow walk. Rarely had Srila Prabhupada been so sick; He was finally convinced to leave for Calcutta. Edema and conjunctivitis together is peculiar.

JANUARY 15: R.N. Gupta, again arranged a special private railcar to be brought up from Bombay to Srila Prabhupada take to Calcutta. (Sat:6.228)

JANUARY 16: Srila Prabhupada arrived in Calcutta. (Sat:6.232)

JANUARY 18: Then: "After the intense cold of Kumbha Mela, Srila Prabhupada had recuperated a couple of days in Calcutta. His head cold had gone away, but the swelling (AK17) in his hands and feet persisted, as did other maladies(?). Externally, he was diabetic and suffered from poor digestion(A15), as well as from the general dwindling of physical powers common to an 81 year old body. His condition was not suited for continual travel, hard work, frequent lectures, and taxing management. Yet Prabhupada was transcendental to his apparent material condition. Although sometimes he would inquire about cures, mostly he was callous toward his poor health. Even after receiving a doctor's advice or concluding himself what was good for his health, he would often ignore it in favor of what he thought was best for spreading Krishna consciousness."(Sat:6.232-3)

At 10:00 PM Srila Prabhupada left for Bhubaneshwar from Calcutta on the Puri Express, arriving the next day at 10:00 AM. (Abhiram)

JANUARY 19: "Srila Prabhupada said that He has no digestion (A15) and that He was not feeling strong (AK5). His digestion was failing Him and He could not eat foods cooked in ghee. Srila Prabhupada referred to His kidneys (AK15)." Srutirupa and Palika cooked for Srila Prabhupada. (Abhiram)

"Srila Prabhupada's failing health prevented him from eating fried foods (A15)."(Sat:6.236)

Srila Prabhupada said,"Our immediately problem is toward my health. I am not digesting food, so therefore there is some swelling (AK17) in the hands and the legs."

Rameshwar: That's due to the kidney?

Srila Prabhupada: Kidney or whatever it may be.

Rameshwar: So is it affecting your translation work?

Srila Prabhupada: That is not affected. That is going on.

Rameshwar: We know you have a very low opinion of doctors.(laughter)

Srila Prabhupada: I wish to die without a doctor… I may be seriously ill, but don't call a doctor. Chant Hare Krishna.

Gargamuni: But maybe we could give you some temporary relief.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, but no severe treatment should be accepted.  Better not to take. Better to chant Hare Krishna.

Gargamuni: Maybe for the swelling we can increase the massaging to three times a day.

Hari Sauri: That's what this guy told me, not to massage very much. At least not while the swelling is there. Actually that medicine that Shiv Sharma gave you, that was reduced. I don't think this homeopathic medicine is any good.

Srila Prabhupada: So you can give me that.

Gargamuni: My father, he also used to get swelling, but this was due to diabetes.

Srila Prabhupada: I have got diabetes also… There are many gentlemen who take insulin at least once a day. (Con:29.289-292)

   Jayapataka Swami was present today. Gargamuni said that he was going to leave India proper for "a few days"to Dacca in Bangladesh because his visa was expiring. This was a common problem for foreign devotees in India; their tourist visas had to be reapplied for periodically by leaving and then re-entering India. It is thought that Tamal's visa was thus conveniently renewed in August when Srila Prabhupada flew from Vrindaban to London (six months from February 14 is August 14). (Con:29.275)

JANUARY 20: In Bhubaneshwar, Srutirupa dasi, Abhiram's wife, noted in her October 1978 memoirs that she brought Srila Prabhupada"medicine pills with water" twice daily at 11 AM and 6 PM.

JANUARY 21: Both Arundhati and Palika could not cook today, so Srila Prabhupada asked if Srutirupa dasi knew how to use His special cooker to prepare His "special diet" lunch (A15). She did and cooked well. (Con:29.332)

JANUARY 23:  Satsvarupa das Goswami arrived in Bhubaneshwar around January 23 and replaced Rameshwar as the secretary to His Divine Grace for a month. Rameshwar left maybe the next day.  Brahmananda visited for at least two days on January 23rd and 24th. (Sat:6.248; Con:30.38-292)

Srila Prabhupada's course was to follow a careful diet which He could digest  satisfactorily(A15), avoiding ghee and spices. But sometimes He was not so strict, to the distress of His servants. Srila Prabhupada conceded that sometimes He wanted spices, "otherwise there is no taste."(Sat:6.236-7)

JANUARY 25-27: In the early morning of January 25, Srila Prabhupada drove to Jagannath Puri to look at properties, and ended up walking on the beach, remembering His last visit there in 1920."Now I am walking with stick." Srila Prabhupada and His party stayed the night at the Tourist Bungalows and the next day Srila Prabhupada ate a hearty meal prepared by Gargamuni's cook in the back of his travelling van. Afterwards the devotees held an impromptu abhiseka for Srila Prabhupada at the ocean's edge; then Srila Prabhupada walked to the hotel and was carried upstairs in a chair.

That evening Srila Prabhupada spoke at a local pandal program and then went to visit two different Gaudiya Math temples in the area. Srila Prabhupada, sitting in a chair, prepared to leave:"…he (Srila Prabhupada) began to stand, using his cane as a support, but suddenly, as he was about halfway up, he dropped down again onto the chair. Hari Sauri had to lift him to his feet…Not everyone had noticed Prabhupada's temporary collapse, (A17) but Hari Sauri… wrote in a letter…"yet another sign that Srila Prabhupada's health is very quickly dwindling away." (Sat:6.241-7)There are two known incidences in early 1977 where Srila Prabhupada showed sudden leg weakness before the onset of His serious illness on February 26. They were here in Puri and on Sridhara Maharaj's temple steps in Navadwipa.

   Gargamuni reminisced with Srila Prabhupada about His 1967 heart attack and how he had to stop the doctors from taking some blood.

Srila Prabhupada: They were examining my brain. Then I thought, 'I must go away.' I told, 'Doctor, I am all right. I can go.'

Gargamuni: They wanted to do so many tests. They wanted to take also from spine.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes.

Satsvarupa: They did that. They did give you that spine needle.

Srila Prabhupada: Oh. Never call doctor. Never give me hospital. Let me die peacefully if I am in trouble. (Con:30:108-9)

Srila Prabhupada returned to Bhubaneshwar on Jan. 27, and Palika cooked thin chapatis, rice, etc for Srila Prabhupada's lunch. (Con:30.164)

JANUARY 30: At 2:50 AM this morning, Srila Prabhupada began His translation of the Tenth Canto of Srimad Bhagwatam."His words were faint…(A2)" (Sat:6.247)



FEBRUARY 1: Jayapataka was present today for at least one day. (Con:30)

FEBRUARY 2: Srila Prabhupada laid the cornerstone in a ceremony marking the beginning of construction on the ISKCON temple in Bhubaneshwar. Bhagwat das was personally asked by Srila Prabhupada to stay and supervise the construction project. Later Srila Prabhupada spoke about restricting His diet from ghee which He said "was not good for him." (A15) Hari Sauri expounded on the purported benefits of an all-fruit diet. (Sat:6.251-2)

   Satsvarupa wrote:"We discussed Christ. Srila Prabhupada said that Christ's followers were so low-class that they killed him. I said, 'People say he didn't resist when the soldiers came.' Prabhupada said, 'Oh, does that mean you should kill him? What rascals.' I said, 'Christ is so compassionate that even if one insists on being a sinner, Christ wants to save him.' Prabhupada repeated, 'Yes, Christ is compassionate, but you are a rascal.'" (ISK70, 248-9)

FEBRUARY 4:  Srila Prabhupada left Orissa at 11:00 PM the previous night and arrived in Calcutta today. (Abhiram)

FEBRUARY 6: Srila Prabhupada went on to Panihati today. (Abhiram)

FEBRUARY 7: Srila Prabhupada arrived in Mayapur. Srila Prabhupada's room had been decorated with thousands of flowers grown on the property. Later He went to survey the progress on construction work, walking about the grounds and inspected all the rooms of the 700 foot long guest house. "The next few days were quiet."  (Abhiram; Sat:6.253)

Hari Sauri wrote to Radhaballabha, and after describing the tour of Orissa just completed, said:"As far as his health goes, Srila Prabhupada is not really any better. The swelling (AK17) is still there and digestion (A15) is still bad, although his appetite (AK1) is picking up now that his sister is doing some cooking. He is still avoiding ghee and salt though, so that vegetable salt is very important." (Archives)

FEBRUARY 8: "But Prabhupada's ill health persisted - an imbalance of pitta and vayu (bile and air), he said. One morning when his servant asked him how he felt, he replied, "Very bad."  But sometimes after a "very bad" morning, he would feel much better.(Sat:6.255)

FEBRUARY 10:  Srila Prabhupada went by car and ferry to visit Sridhara Maharaj's Math in Navadwip for lunch. But, "while walking up the steep stone steps, Prabhupada's legs suddenly gave way, and he collapsed. (A17) Fortunately, Hari Sauri was close enough to catch him.  It was the second time Prabhupada had collapsed in less than two weeks."(Sat:6.255) In Satsvarupa's diary called ISKCON in the 1970's, there is no mention of any illness with Srila Prabhupada in Bhubaneshwar, no mention of the collapse at Sridhar's Math, no mention of Srila Prabhupada's terrible, near-fatal fever on February 26, and no mention of the London operation in September.

Tamal proffers an explanation for this weakness in Srila Prabhupada's legs : "Srila Prabhupada's health was not strong, even at that time. … he could only take short walks…upon leaving (Sridhara's Math) he had stumbled and almost collapsed… Apparently the food had been prepared in mustard oil… which… was very difficult for Srila Prabhupada to digest."(TkgD.1)

   Question: Was Srila Prabhupada coming to or from lunch at Sridhara Maharaj's when He collapsed, going up or down the stairs? Also, how would mustard oil cause weakness in the legs one hour after lunch, or if He was going up the steps on the way to lunch?

FEBRUARY 11: The next day there were still after-effects of the lunch.

Jayapataka:So this morning you won't go, be going on a walk. You're not feeling up to a walk (AK11, A17) this morning? It affected your kidney or your digestion?

Srila Prabhupada: That I cannot say. But the foodstuff is not digesting. (A15) That I can say. I am not feeling at all appetite (AK1). (Con:30.325)

FEBRUARY 12: Palika dasi cooked Srila Prabhupada's meals according to His direction and choices. Oil, ghee and spices were avoided because Srila Prabhupada could not digest these things.(A15) Pishima came and cooked for Srila Prabhupada also, then one day, not even allowing Palika into the kitchen. Srila Prabhupada ate her lunch and "became sick. For the next two days he did not take anything except hot milk and medicine." (Satsvarupa: Prabhupada Nectar, Vol. 3, pg 98-100)

FEBRUARY 14: Tamal states:"I began my secretarial work for Srila Prabhupada on February 22, 1977. I arrived in Mayapur with His Holiness Brahmananda Swami…" (TkgD.1) However, the tape recordings clarify that Tamal's arrival date was the 13th or 14th, as he and Brahmananda were present in conversations with Srila Prabhupada from February 14th and on.

   Tamal:Adi Keshava is here in India… He'll be coming here in about three days, he and Tripurari Maharaj.

Srila Prabhupada: So, when you arrived at the airport?

Tamal:Well, we first… The airplane that we came on landed in Delhi, and we went down to Bombay yesterday morning. So we stayed the day in Bombay… (and then) we took off in the plane to Calcutta…

Speaking about the imminent New York deprogramming trial:

Tamal:As long as we stay within the law they cannot find any fault with us. They are trying like anything, but they cannot find any fault.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. The poison has already entered. (laughs)

AUTHOR'S COMMENT: Is this a pun?

Tamal: I've brought some medicines for you from Bombay.

Srila Prabhupada: Hm. What is that medicine.

Tamal: I can bring them. I don't know.

Brahmananda: Were you expecting something?

Hari Sauri:We already got one big bag full.

Tamal: Oh. There's so many more things now.

Hari Sauri: Did Karttikeya give it to you?

Tamal: I don't know… Giriraj gave them to me.(Con:30.339)

FEBRUARY 15: In the evening, Srila Prabhupada asked Bhavananda to bring Him "one plate" of "freshly prepared" prasadam today at 1:00 PM. (Con:30.15-6)  Later, Tamal instigated a lengthy narration of medical horror stories assisted by Brahmananda and Hari Sauri, leaving the impression that modern doctors were to be avoided at all costs, as they were cruel, careless, callous, inexpert and so on. Tamal also broke the news to Srila Prabhupada that Jayananda Prabhu had cancer and told about some nightmarish trouble Jayananda had while in the hospital. Tamal said that he personally went and rescued Jayananda from further harm at the hands of the "crazy" doctors. Tamal explained that doctors were now using electric shock treatments also. (Con:31. 29-33)

FEBRUARY 16: Srila Prabhupada spoke to Hari Sauri while they stood on the balcony veranda overlooking the surrounding land in Mayapur: "Actually it does not matter even if I die immediately. I have given the basis for everything, and now if they simply manage things nicely and follow whatever programs I have begun, then everything will be successful."(Sat:6.256)

FEBRUARY 17: The Conversations Books show that Adi Keshava Swami arrived in Mayapur today and for several days thereafter had lengthy discussions with Srila Prabhupada about American deprogramming cases and the specific court battle in which he himself was a central defendant.

When Adi Keshava Prabhu came from New York, Srila Prabhupada was energetic and showed few signs of illness or weakness. (Sat:6.260)

Adi Keshava was distressed about how he had been "dumped" by Tamal who wanted nothing to do with his legal troubles and would not allow any funding from the temple for legal expenses. Adi Keshava was on his own. Adi Keshava went to Srila Prabhupada privately and explained what had happened and said, "I can't deal with Tamal." Later, Srila Prabhupada called for Adi Keshava and told him privately, "I will take care of Tamal," and offered all funds and other assistance he might need. Accordingly, Tamal was asked by Srila Prabhupada to become His permanent personal secretary, which Tamal was definitely not at all happy about. Once again, Tamal had been removed from his prominent position in ISKCON. (Adi Keshava)

FEBRUARY 18: Srila Prabhupada, during deprogramming talks, asked that the light be turned off. Just a while later, He asked for some sweet water, some misri. Srila Prabhupada gave many arguments to make a counter-attack against the deprogrammers' false accusations, but emphasized that the devotees should go to court with robes and shaved heads, bringing all the books in the forefront. Tamal asked if Srila Prabhupada wanted to go on a walk the next morning, and whether He would just walk on the roof, or if going around the pond, would He need a chair to be carried up the walkway steps (AK11, A17). Srila Prabhupada said He would go around the pond without a chair-lift. (Con:31.88-142)

FEBRUARY 19: The first mention of Bhakticharu's presence is noted on this date, but he was known as Kshirachora Gopinatha. Satadhanya, Jayapataka, and Bhavananda Maharajas are also present during Srila Prabhupada's stay in Mayapur. (Con:31.161)

Srila Prabhupada: If Christ were not crucified, then his cult would not have spread so much all over the world. The Christian cult was spread all over the world after the demise of Christ, not during his time. Is it not? Because he was persecuted, his cult became so spread. (Con:31.163-4)

FEBRUARY 22:  Tamal Krishna Goswami states that today he became Srila Prabhupada's personal secretary, replacing Satsvarupa Maharaj. Each month, by rotation, a different GBC would come to spend a month with Srila Prabhupada by serving as His secretary. However, Tamal remained as Srila Prabhupada's permanent personal secretary, assistant, and primary guardian until Srila Prabhupada's departure on November 14, a total of exactly nine months since Tamal's February 14th arrival.(TkgD. 1) In a letter some months later, Tamal told Radhaballabha that the GBC had voted and requested him to stay on indefinitely as Srila Prabhupada's secretary.

On Satsvarupa Maharaj's last day as Srila Prabhupada's secretary, Srila Prabhupada ordered a breakfast of soaked mung dal, cucumber and fruits (AK1), not the diet of one with good digestion.  Srila Prabhupada attended the evening programs and walked with a government minister through extensive displays of preaching around the world. Srila Prabhupada was still very active at this time. (Sat:6.264-5)

Hundreds of devotees arrived for the annual Mayapur festival, including 350 on the first Boeing 757 to land in Calcutta. (Sat:6.266)


   Srila Prabhupada said: "I am not feeling very well, but I am living in Vaikuntha. I am not fit for this place." Later on, Srila Prabhupada said,"So let me take prasadam. Then we can talk some more."(Con:31.205, 216)

FEBRUARY 25: Bali Mardan reported that there was a nice house in Australia available for Srila Prabhupada to stay in if He chose, and Srila Prabhupada asked about the climate. "One can get good appetite? (AK1) Nowadays I cannot eat." Also, Srila Prabhupada twice asked why certain light bulbs were not working. (Con:31.260, 267)

FEBRUARY 26: Satsvarupa's biography relates that Srila Prabhupada"became very ill again." (Sat:6.266)  Late in the day, "Srila Prabhupada's health deteriorated noticably. Then a very serious illness began. His temperature rose to 104 or 105 degrees.(AK19) For three days and two nights the high fever continued, and he was always moaning."Tamal relates that he, Navayogendra and Hari Sauri were always attending Srila Prabhupada in shifts, constantly massaging Him. Srila Prabhupada could not eat (AK1), His body was very swollen (AK17), there was great difficulty in urinating (AK14), and Srila Prabhupada could not even talk to the devotees. He remained confined to His quarters and did not come down for the programs.  Gradually the fever subsided, and Srila Prabhupada said later that He thought He was going to leave His body. (TkgD.2)

   From Satsvarupa's book, Prabhupada Nectar, Vol. 4, pg.147: "In Mayapur, in February 1977, when Prabhupada first started to get really sick, we were taking turns sitting in his bedroom with him. He was just lying in his bed, so one person would always have to be there... If he coughed, you would have to make sure he had his spitoon there (A3) and a handkerchief to wipe his face, or you would help him with his blanket or give him water, or help him to go to the bathroom (AK5)... Prabhupada was so sick that he was sometimes moaning (AK4), and he could not sleep (AK21), because he would be coughing (A3) so much."

Srila Prabhupada's old friend Dr. G. Ghosh from Allahabad came and prescribed various allopathic medicines, "…including Lassix tablets, which helped Srila Prabhupada pass urine.(AK14) As these medicines were very strong, Srila Prabhupada passed not only urine but sometimes also blood." (AK16) Therefore Srila Prabhupada was forced to discontinue these medicines. Srila Prabhupada was left extremely weak (AK5) and semi-invalid (AK11) needing help with most activities, including going to the bathroom (A17). (TkgD.2)

Bhavananda began to give massages which helped greatly."It was apparent to many who attended the festivals during Gaur-Purnima 1977 that Srila Prabhupada was extremely weak (AK5) as he required to be carried on a palanquin." (Dhaneshwar)

Srila Prabhupada said in late February,"The last fortnight I was thinking I was dead…"(Sat:6.269)

   Srutirupa dasi, Abhiram Prabhu's wife, recalls that in February at Mayapur, "This is when Srila Prabhupada began getting ill, and it never stopped. He became weaker and weaker. Some deer musk grains were obtained…" (and given to Srila Prabhupada as medicine on March 10)

FEBRUARY 27: While discussing BBT business with Radhaballabha Prabhu, there is twice a mention of Srila Prabhupada taking some medicines. (Con:31.291, 294)


MARCH 1977

MARCH 2: Abhiram: "Until recently, Srila Prabhupada has eaten full course meals (AK1), with Srutirupa Prabhu cooking for Him."

The GBC meetings endorsed Tamal as Srila Prabhupada's "permanent secretary," and another GBC would also rotate monthly to spend time with His Divine Grace. Satsvarupa read the GBC resolutions regarding Tamal's zone, concluding with:"And also Tamal Krishna Maharaj will retain responsibility for Red China, whatever can be done there."

Srila Prabhupada:That's very good. (laughter) I asked him to do this last year. Very good.

Later, Tamal spoke for the GBC: "Srila Prabhupada, we were wondering that one time when you were ill in Vrindaban you requested that the devotees in our temples around the world could chant kirtan all the time, twenty-four hours, till you recovered your health. So the GBC was wondering whether we could request again for that." Srila Prabhupada replied:"Yes... Bhavausadhac chrotra-mano-bhiramat. This is the real remedy for any disease."  Soon thereafter Giriraj discussed whether Srila Prabhupada would see guests when He came to Bombay later in the month."…if your health permits and if you could come every day (from Kartikkeya's to the temple), then we could arrange very leading people (to see You) for all of those days…" (Con:31.336, 363-7) Apparently Srila Prabhupada was still very ill and weak from the sudden attack of ill health on February 26.


MARCH 6, 7: Abhiram:"Srila Prabhupada is getting sick and His appetite (AK1) is failing Him. He is feeling very bad, but He drank some barley water."

MARCH 10: Abhiram: "Srila Prabhupada is becoming very, very ill."Abhiram and Jayatirtha went to Calcutta and returned with Bimala Tanka Tirtha, Srila Prabhupada's old and blind Ayurvedic doctor, who prescribed medicines, allopathic and Ayurvedic. A very expensive medicine containing musk, gold and pearls produced no visible results. After two or three days, the doctor left and Srila Prabhupada discontinued the medicines. Abhiram left Srila Prabhupada's association from March 10 until July 19. (Abhiram)

Devotees recall being asked to donate for medication during the 1977 Gaura Purnima festival, and many believed that this was for makharadhvaja. Interviewed, Abhiram said the collection was for a medicine called Somara-rasayana, prescribed by Bimala Thakur. Abhiram personally went to Calcutta, purchased the ingredients for this medication, and brought these ingredients back for Srila Prabhupada. (Dhaneshwar, Abhiram)

MARCH 13: Hari Sauri left Srila Prabhupada's service and Tamal became the masseur as well as personal secretary. Srila Prabhupada did not like Tamal's massages, however.  Bhavananda was recruited for this service.  Giving two hour massages in the morning sunshine, Srila Prabhupada's"health improved."  Navayogendra Swami cooked for Srila Prabhupada, Who began to eat again, although He was not fully recovered. (TkgD.3)

Earlier Dr. Ghosh from Kodaikanal (not the one from Allahabad) had invited Srila Prabhupada to his health resort in South India, where, he asserted, no one would die. Now Srila Prabhupada remembered Dr. Ghosh and told Tamal to write and confirm the journey there as soon as possible. Dr. Ghosh was well-known as a natural healer, using massage, dieting and no allopathic drugs. Srila Prabhupada also thought a change of location to be beneficial to His health. But, no word came from Kodaikanal. (TkgD.3)

MARCH 20:  Swarup Damodar came in to see Srila Prabhupada, Who commented, "Sit down. I am little better today. Sometimes for the last… How many days? I am…" (?) When Swarup Damodar mentioned getting a visa for Srila Prabhupada's planned visit to Manipur, Srila Prabhupada said,"That may be suspended for the time."

Swarup Damodar: Prabhupada's health. It may not be so wise.

Srila Prabhupada, to Tamal:What is this? The same tablet? No.

Tamal:I've gotten a week's supply of these other tablets. I got the prescription filled.

Srila Prabhupada: Keep it here… That has given me great relief.

Tamal:Oh. Swelling (AK17) is reduced, Srila Prabhupada?

Srila Prabhupada: That I do not know. But internally I am feeling relief.

Swarup Damodar:Swelling here?

Tamal:No. His feet.

Srila Prabhupada: Not very much, but there is.

Tamal:Not so much. I think that pill (Lassix?) works for swelling. The swelling is due to urine, not…

Srila Prabhupada:(heavy coughing) (A3)

Then Swarup Damodar reported to Srila Prabhupada that he had just seen Upendra at the Calcutta airport waiting for some lost luggage, and that Upendra would be arriving that night to join Srila Prabhupada's party as personal assistant to replace Hari Sauri. Srila Prabhupada said,"Oh. He has received that telegram. He is coming from Hawaii?" Tamal said, "Yes."Tamal reminded Srila Prabhupada about the upcoming Bombay programs. Tamal:"A lot of the senior devotees are still there. They've gone from here to Vrindaban, and now they're in Bombay, and they're waiting for your coming."Srila Prabhupada said,"I am therefore going. In spite of my so much inconveniences, I am going there."

When Srila Prabhupada heard that policemen in Manipur were wearing tilak, He decided to go after all. "April 5 th. No harm. We are… Kodaikanal, we wanted to go by the end of the…"Tamal then postponed the planned trip to Dr. Ghosh's medical treatment center in Kodaikanal until about April 15 or 20.  Later Srila Prabhupada was eating and Tamal asked:"Did this tangerine remove the bad taste? (AK20) So every day we can give some tangerine. Especially if you can give with this medicine, then it will take away the bitter taste." Later Srila Prabhupada asked for hot water and a chaddar and said, "So this tablet is effective. Prepare this." Tamal and Srila Prabhupada talked about the 8 tablets that were to be taken twice a day.

Tamal: Nobody can go through it. It's such trouble. An ordinary person can't do it. Unless you have a servant, you can't take kaviraja's medicine. (Con:31.180-201)

MARCH 22: An invitation has been received earlier from Bombay to participate in their upcoming pandal program, but "the senior devotees in Mayapur felt Srila Prabhupada was too ill to travel." Srila Prabhupada accepted the invitation, being very enthusiastic to preach in Bombay. Driving to Calcutta, Srila Prabhupada and His party flew by Bombay. When Srila Prabhupada arrived at the Bombay airport, Srila Prabhupada was lowered off the plane by hydraulic lift due to His weakness (AK11) and inability to negotiate the steep stairs.  Several devotees assisted Him in walking (AK11, A17) and He appeared frail. Srila Prabhupada refused to stay in His old apartment, upset that His new quarters were not finished, and defiantly camped out in His unfinished rooms for one night. (Sat:6.269-70; TkgD.4)

Thereafter He moved to Karttikeya Mahadevia's home, and preached strongly every evening to the thousands who came for the lecture, kirtan and free prasadam. Bhavananda Maharaj assisted with the personal services given to His Divine Grace, and it is noted that Srila Prabhupada "could not stand and walk without assistance…(AK11, A17)" (Sat:6.272; TkgD. 4)

Srila Prabhupada was carried on a palanquin, and He attended the week long Bombay pandal programs. Srila Prabhupada's voice was weak (A2) and He remained motionless (AK18), yet somehow commanded enough energy to answer questions forcefully but briefly, saving His limited energy. "Ever since Srila Prabhupada's extreme weakness (AK5) of health had occurred in Mayapur, he would often sit for hours alone and silent (A11, AK18). When he spoke his voice was often hoarse or faint.(A2)." (Sat:6.274-5)

MARCH 25: Srila Prabhupada wrote to Gurudas:"Thank you, yes, I am feeling a little stronger now. On the 28th instant I shall be moving into my new quarters…" (Letters Books)

MARCH 26: Bhavananda questioned if Srila Prabhupada should strain Himself by going to this evening's pandal program, saying: "This Dr. Oja says that your blood pressure is about 210 to 220 over 100.(AK6) He said it should be about 150 over 90. He said any strain moving around will cause this." Srila Prabhupada remarked, "But after taking my meals, I require a little rest. One hour." Hari Sauri had come back from Australia for a few days. (Con:32.20-3)

   Bhakticharu was by now in the personal service of Srila Prabhupada as of this date and remained so almost constantly until Srila Prabhupada's departure. After lunch, Srila Prabhupada stated, "I have taken six chapattis."

Tamal:Six chapattis!

Bhakticharu: Do you require anything specific at night?

Tamal: By starving you at night, Srila Prabhupada, your appetite (AK1) in the noontime is becoming increased.

Srila Prabhupada: No, I should not take at night. At night, a little milk and barley water. Light. (Con:32.26)

   Later in the day, Tamal talks with Srila Prabhupada:

Srila Prabhupada: Still I am eighty percent not good. But twenty percent.

Tamal: It's very strange even now, because it doesn't seem to be anything apparently wrong, yet it's not good health. You know, like in Mayapur you were visibly ill, from fever and so many other things. So those visible symptoms have gone, but still, full health is not…

Srila Prabhupada: Strength, strength.(AK5) That requires a little time.

Tamal: I think it just requires some gradual recuperation… if there is still a chance of going to Kodaikanal for a month, you should take that opportunity.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes.

Tamal:It may be Krishna's will that you… I think that if for one month you are under the care of Dr. Ghosh in a very first class healthy weather…

Srila Prabhupada: I think also. He is a very kind doctor. Whole family is attentive… This misri water and dob water… Always ready. That will clear my urine.(AK16) That I have experimented. And I don't require that exacting tablet (Lassix). That tablet by chemical reaction exacts. And when there is no urine, it exacts blood.

Tamal: That's what's wrong with these modern medicines. They work mechanically. They don't take consideration of the particular conditions.(Con:32.35-6)

MARCH 27: Srila Prabhupada had a cough.(A3) (Con:32.44) Ratan Singh Rajda, a member of Parliament, came to visit Srila Prabhupada, relating how he and 150,000 others had just been released after being jailed for 19 months, including J. K. Prakash, J. P. Narayan and Morarji Desai, due to the recent defeat in elections of Indira Gandhi.  Srila Prabhupada remarked to Mr. Rajda, "I am not keeping good health at the moment…"(Sat:6.284)

MARCH 30: Srila Prabhupada wrote in a letter: "I was expecting to come to Vrindaban to be with my disciples during the Gour Purnima time but I was suddenly forced to change my plans due to illness. Now, by the grace of Krishna, I am gradually recovering." (Letters Books)

MARCH 31: Srila Prabhupada moved into His new private rooms upstairs in the Juhu temple. There was lots of light, a constantly blowing breeze and everything was very nicely done by Surabhi Swami, the architect. (TkgD.5)

   Moved in, Srila Prabhupadasaid: "I shall go daily (to guru puja in the temple) in the morning. At seven. And I'll stay there half an hour or more… Those who are visitors, they can see me. And for lecturing, on Sunday I shall lecture (from Bhagwatam)… Walking should be stopped (AK11, A17) at least for some time. And if I walk, I may walk on the roof." (Con:32.64-5)


APRIL 1977

Srila Prabhupada, of course, no longer went on His morning walks, (AK11, A17) and remained almost constantly in His quarters for the next month, except for daily attendance at the morning greeting of the Deities in the temple room.  Srila Prabhupada arranged for quiet and solitude so that He could focus on His translation work. Srila Prabhupada had no appetite (AK1) and his health neither improved nor worsened. In early April Srila Prabhupada considered going to Kashmir but postponed those plans when Gurudas sent word that it was very cold there. (TkgD. 5)

"But Srila Prabhupada had little appetite.(AK1) He could not eat anything heavy,(A15) and sometimes he had no appetite even for a cup of milk. One morning Srila Prabhupada asked for orange juice..." When the cook, Ksiracora Gopinath (Bhakticharu), took longer than expected to deliver the juice, Srila Prabhupada reprimanded by saying, "I am sick with no appetite, and when I have a little hunger,(AK1) then you take hours!" (Sat:6.289-90)

Bhavananda Maharaj had been intimately serving Srila Prabhupada since His arrival in Bombay, but now took leave and returned to Mayapur. Srila Prabhupada said that Bhavananda's massages had been the best, but "for my bodily comforts, preaching should not suffer."  Upendra Prabhu, newly arrived around April 1, noted the difference in Srila Prabhupada, His diet and lifestyle. "His intelligence was ever sharp and alert, and yet his health did not improve…(Upendra) could no longer cook the kichari which Prabhupada had previously liked."(A15)  No more kicharis.  Glances, nods, hand motions and "Hmmm's" (AK18) were common methods by which Srila Prabhupada communicated His desires. (Sat:6.296, Con:32.102-4)

APRIL 5: Srila Prabhupada gave an interview to a B.T. Koshi of The Current, a weekly magazine. At the end, Srila Prabhupada said, "And from the fifth year to fifteenth year you should chastise the sons and disciples just like tiger. After five years.

Mr. Koshi:Using the stick.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes.

Tamal: That's how you trained us, Srila Prabhupada… Even though we were not five years old, he treats us just like as if we were five. Because spiritually we are still like that. So he is very strict with us.

Srila Prabhupada: All these boys I chastise vehemently. Even a little mistake. (Con:32.126)

   An unnamed doctor came in the morning to check Srila Prabhupada, and said."I would like to have the history of the present program which is going on. It will be apparent that so much will be there. The same thing is going on."

Srila Prabhupada: I have no appetite.(AK1) I cannot digest.(A15) This is going on.

After the doctor had left, Srila Prabhupada and Tamal discussed doctors. Srila Prabhupada felt that this last doctor was no good because he had asked about the history rather than ascertain the problem simply from feeling the pulse. Tamal added that present-day Ayurvedic doctors could not make enough money since their cures were too slow to suit people.

Srila Prabhupada: To study Ayurveda is now lost. Nobody takes seriously Ayurveda… As soon as he wanted history I rejected him. He is not Ayurvedic. And Kartikkeya was sorry that I did not give him for one and a half hours.

Tamal: He wanted you to stop talking to the reporter and begin talking to the doctor. What good the doctor will do, but the reporter can do so much good.

Srila Prabhupada and Tamal agreed that Bhakticharu and Upendra would make a good crew to serve Srila Prabhupada's needs. (Con:32.128-132)

   During the darshan later in the day, a guest made a request:"Srila Prabhupada… I have a friend who is M.D., and he is doing research in Hyderabad. He is about 83 years old. So I was just wondering whether you would like to meet him some time for consultation. He has established one Ayurvedic college… whether you would like to take his advantage of the knowledge of the…

Srila Prabhupada:Yes, I can take advantage, but no medicine.

Shortly after this, Srila Prabhupada inquired whether Gurudas had reported back from Kashmir about the house offered by Dr. Karen Singh.

Tamal:You are eager to go there, I think.

Srila Prabhupada:Not very eager. I was eager only that if I simply get regular appetite, (AK1) then… I can get some strength (AK5) to work, that's all. So ask them to give me little orange… A little salt. (Con:32.152-154)


APRIL 6: Srila Prabhupada wrote to Radhaballabha: "Just now I am not completely fit but as soon as I become fit I shall write an introduction to the Kapila book."(Letters Books)

APRIL 8: Srila Prabhupada met with Parliament member Sri Ratan Singh Rajda and asked him to arrange a meeting with Prime Minister Morarji Desai. Srila Prabhupada would meet important guests around 4:00 PM every afternoon. (TkgD.5)

APRIL 10: Srila Prabhupada resumed regular translation work again, recording 30 to 40% of a tape nightly while working of the Tenth Canto. Srila Prabhupada heard the political news of India from the newspaper daily now, very interested in that now the new government might afford better preaching opportunities. (TkgD.5-6)

   Tamal advised Srila Prabhupada to take some rest, and noted that Srila Prabhupada had translated a little bit last night, but stopped, which Srila Prabhupada said was due to feeling"sleepy."

Tamal:Yeah, I mean you are taking so little prasadam that it is not to be expected that you can do very much physical activity… I think simply it is just weakness now (AK5)… You've been maintaining a fast now for nearly two months.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. I like that. If there is no appetite,(AK1) what is the use of forcibly eating? When appetite will come, we shall eat. Natural.

Tamal:So we are not at a loss. We can chant Hare Krishna.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, I am chanting… What can be done with this physical impediment?

Tamal: Yesterday you were questioning if we had an extra quantity of that, er, to fill up your container… of one of the things that you use… Oh, tooth powder.

Srila Prabhupada: Ah, yes, that.

Tamal: Do you know where it is?

Bhavananda: It hasn't been filled up yet?

Srila Prabhupada confirmed that Bhakticharu had already refilled His container with more tooth powder. Tamal stated that one of the advantages of Srila Prabhupada's fasting was that it cures diseases and was perhaps responsible for reducing His swelling (AK17). Srila Prabhupada added that it was His experience that doctors are only after money, sometimes using water injections as a means of cheating. (Con:32.155-7)

   AUTHOR'S COMMENT: That Srila Prabhupada was poisoned is now known, but not how it was done. White, tasteless arsenic powder could easily have been mixed with Srila Prabhupada's tooth powder and the poison readily absorbed over the gums just like nicotine is absorbed from chewing tobacco. Tooth powder or another ingredient among Srila Prabhupada's personal items could easily have been laced with poison. In this way, the poison is taken in small doses regularly, maintaining a constant drain on Srila Prabhupada's health while the conspirator stands by innocently or may have already gone to "preach" elsewhere. END COMMENT

APRIL 11: Today another Parliament member, and India's most eminent attorney, Sri Ram Jethmalani came to visit Srila Prabhupada. The guest was quite impressed and pledged full support for ISKCON's preaching work. (TkgD.6)  Tamal stated to Srila Prabhupada:"Anyone that is in power too long… There's a saying, "Power corrupts." Anyone who becomes too long in power becomes corrupted. That's why change is required."(Con:32.183) (Not bad advice!)

   Tamal answered Srila Prabhupada's inquiry about Indira Gandhi, "Some young yogis she was keeping?"

Tamal: Yes, there was one (Chandra Swami) who was coming to America who seemed to have been very intimate with her. He was able to call her on the telephone. She would come to the telephone. He helped us, though, in our court case. Adi Keshava warned him. Because he was sometimes meeting all these women. Many women were coming to see him in New York.  Many fashionable wealthy people.  So Adi Keshava Maharaj warned him that 'If you associate with these women, you will fall down.'  He liked Adi Keshava very much and helped him, because he could see that he was strict sannyasi. (Con:32.185)

APRIL 14: Upon reviewing the photographs in the Bhaktivedanta Archives of Srila Prabhupada in Bombay for early 1977, it was shocking. Most of the scenes showed only a silhouette of Srila Prabhupada in His darkened rooms. Already Srila Prabhupada was averse to light, becoming photophobic. (A1)

APRIL 15: Srila Prabhupada instructed that some of His disciples should learn to preach by writing articles. He was very weak (AK5) and did not have the strength for vigorous preaching as before. (TkgD.7)

   Again Mr. Rajda came to visit, this time with his family.

Mr. Rajda: How is your health now?

Srila Prabhupada:Not very good, but as Krishna's mercy going on. These are some of our latest publications. (Con:32.208)

APRIL 16: Srila Prabhupada sent Bhavananda Swami back to his important preaching work in Bengal. Bhavananda had been giving massage and personal service since Srila Prabhupada arrived in Bombay. Massages were up to two hours long, and were giving Srila Prabhupada much benefit. (AK12?) (TkgD.7)

   Srila Prabhupada wrote to Vasudeva in Fiji: "Your suggestion that I come to Fiji for recovering my health is very good. We are now thinking of going to Kashmir… My health is very slowly improving. I am simply trusting in Krishna." (Letters Books)

Srila Prabhupada was brought some medicine before breakfast. Later, a conversation ensued about Jesus Christ.

Srila Prabhupada: Therefore according to history, he retired. That is resurrection. He went to Kashmir. "It is hopeless."

Tamal:He didn't die on the cross.

Srila Prabhupada: It is not possible to kill him. Such a great personality, representative of God, he is not killed. That is not possible.

Tamal:Simply by putting some wounds.  (Comment: or poison?)

Srila Prabhupada:He made a show that "I am killed." That is resurrection. And when you finished your business, then he will go (away)… He was a great yogi. I know that he is powerful representative of God. He sacrificed everything for God. He cannot be ordinary man. (Con:32.241-2)

APRIL 17: Palika dasi was called by Srila Prabhupada at 4 AM to cook various neem preparations, saying, "Now I have a taste for neem, and this will also be good for me." (AK1)  A young, intelligent devotee, Dr. Sharma, came to see Srila Prabhupada and offered to do Russian translations of the books. Dr. Sharma also examined Srila Prabhupada's health condition. (TkgD.8)

   Srila Prabhupada ate some bara and Srila Prabhupada said Palika's neem preparations were "very, very good. Have sukta-neem also. Pick the neem." (Con:32.277)

APRIL 18: Dr. Sharma examined Srila Prabhupada again and found excess water (AK17) in parts of the body, also noting diarrhea (AK3) and high blood pressure.(AK6) Srila Prabhupada refused some proposed injections and pills, preferring to stay with His special neem diet. "Srila Prabhupada has little confidence in western medicines. …if Krishna likes, He can help him get better. Prabhupada prefers dependence on Krishna to injections and pills and other artificial methods of treatment." (TkgD.9)

Very few devotees were allowed to see Srila Prabhupada and most information to and from Srila Prabhupada was filtered through His secretary, Tamal Krishna Goswami.  Srila Prabhupada became more reclusive, withdrawn and apparently internalized. (AK18, A11)

Tamal wrote Radhaballabha:"…Regarding the UHER tape recorder… So I am keeping it here as the spare. Regarding the tapes of Srila Prabhupada's daily conversations and lectures, I am doing this, not Upendra. Enclosed please find a list of the tapes which were sent. I have noted on a list which of the tapes are particularly excellent." (Tamal letters)

Tamal rote Bir Raghava:"Srila Prabhupada is continuing his translation work every night even though he is not very fit in health. (Tamal letters) Srila Prabhupada wrote to Ranadhir: "Do not worry. I have not stopped my business. I am writing at night even though I am not quite fit. Thank you all for your prayers." (Letters Books)

Srila Prabhupada instructed Tamal and Bhakticharu how to make neem paste compresses for His feet and legs, meant for reducing the swelling.(AK17) (Con:32.299)

APRIL 19:  Srila Prabhupada, due to lack of energy, (AK5) had a hard time doing translation work last night. Swarup Damodar held a press conference in Bombay. (TkgD.10)

APRIL 20: Again Srila Prabhupada had trouble (AK5) translating last night. Dr. Sharma came, being "very insistent about Prabhupada's taking the medicine," which Srila Prabhupada declined firmly since he had made up his mind not to "take western drugs."Tamal criticized the doctor, saying that Dr. Sharma's "intention all along had been to get Prabhupada to allow him to be his doctor, rather than translate the books into Russian." (TkgD.11)

APRIL 21: Srila Prabhupada's swelling (AK17) in the hands and legs had decreased almost to nil, and His appetite (AK1) had increased. His diet of taking neem in all His foods has continued. Srila Prabhupada was thinking of going to Lonauli, a cooler climate zone between Bombay and Poona.(TkgD.12)

APRIL 22: Srila Prabhupada became "very angry" when "no one could be seen working on the construction."Srila Prabhupada chanted japa throughout the afternoon and evening. (AK18) (TkgD.13)

Tamal:I was amazed to see how much you translated last night. You translated more last night than in months, almost 200 digits. I think it was 190. I think eating those pakoras at night is giving you strength.

Srila Prabhupada:No, not that. Something must be eaten. I was feeling weakness (AK5) in the evening. But what can I eat? I have no taste (AK20) for fruits. Milk also, not very much taste I have got.

Tamal: You have a taste for neem?

Srila Prabhupada: That is compulsory. Whatever little benefit is there in the leaf of neem… Still I have got taste for neem begon… I think I shall take little, little milk. That will give strength. Milk produces strength. And it is suitable for everyone: children, diseased, invalid, old men. It is such a nice food. Everyone in any condition can get some benefit.(Con:32.352-3)

   A discussion ensued about Hansadutta's problems in Germany, as he apparently had tried to assume a post of initiating guru, causing complaints.

Srila Prabhupada:No, you become guru, but you must be qualified first of all. Then you become…What is the use of producing some rascal guru?

Tamal:Well, I have studied myself and all of your disciples, and it's clear fact that we are all conditioned souls, so we cannot be guru. Maybe one day it may be possible…

Srila Prabhupada:Hmm.

Tamal: …but not now. (COMMENT: How about in 7 months?)

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. I shall choose some guru. I shall say, "Now you become acharya. You become authorized." I am waiting for that. You become acharya. I retire completely. But the training must be complete.

Tamal:The process of purification must be there.

Srila Prabhupada: Oh, yes, must be there. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu wants that. Amara ajnaya guru hana. "You become guru." (laughs) But be qualified. Little thing, strictly follower…

Tamal: Not rubber stamp.

Srila Prabhupada: Then you'll not be effective. Just see our Gaudiya Math. Everyone wanted to become guru, and a small temple and "guru." What kind of guru? No publication, no preaching, simply bring some foodstuff… My Guru Maharaj used to say, "Joint mess," a place for eating and sleeping. (Joint mess means a type of cooperative hotel in India) (Con:32.356-7)

AUTHOR'S COMMENT: On May 28, Srila Prabhupada said that his disciples could become guru "on my order." No order ever came, however, for disciples to become acharya or full guru. END COMMENT

APRIL 23: Tamal was explaining an article from a small newspaper describing the "Moon hoax," and said about astronauts that may have been eliminated by the government,"Killing to them is nothing."

Srila Prabhupada: They can kill even the president. Because they are meat-eaters, there is no mercy… Mercilessly they kill animals, and they have become accustomed to merciless…

Tamal: Yeah. (Con:33.2)

Srila Prabhupada: (sound of metal dishes) …No taste.

Tamal:The milk has no taste or you have no taste, Srila Prabhupada?

Srila Prabhupada: I have no taste. (AK20)

Tamal: You might have more taste for lassi. That's a little sweet and nice. And it's also very good for digestion.(A15)

Srila Prabhupada:So give me.

Tamal: How are you feeling today, Srila Prabhupada?

Srila Prabhupada:Not feel so… That jhuri (?) was very heavy for me.

Tamal: Last night you translated only a little bit?

Srila Prabhupada:Not feeling well at all… Now I am getting old, old age, not good health, so try to give me relief… from this managerial…(Con:33.3-9)

   Mr. Dwivedi came from Pohri, near Gwalior, wanting to donate land and buildings to ISKCON. Srila Prabhupada had been considering some travel, maybe to Kashmir or Lonauli, but now decided to go to Pohri for a four day program starting May 5. (TkgD.14)

APRIL 24:  TKG's Diary notes that Srila Prabhupada's deteriorated health made it difficult to deal with the management of finance and construction, so more of His time was spent on preaching, chanting, translating. Mr. Dwivedi came again today and Tamal thought that Srila Prabhupada should arrive a day or two early after the long journey to rest sufficiently before the preaching programs would begin. Tamal:"I'm only trying to think for your well-being."  Srila Prabhupada added, "And if I actually feel little healthy, I shall stay there for some time to improve my health." (TkgD.15; Con:33.21)

APRIL 25: Today Mr. Dwivedi said that he was in touch with Sri Jethi, the President of India, who might be able to open the Pohri programs in person. The tape recordings show Bhakticharu offering to Srila Prabhupada some Chyavana-prash, a herbal health tonic. (Con:33.46-55; TkgD.15-16)

APRIL 26: Srila Prabhupada received reports from Gopal Krishna on preaching in Chandigarh, Vrindaban and Delhi. (TkgD.16)

APRIL 27: Srila Prabhupada was very concerned about being cheated in the Bombay construction, so He asked Brij Ratan Mohatta to "oversee the rest of the construction himself," so cheating could be avoided. Mr. Mohatta readily agreed to help. (TkgD.16)

APRIL 28: There was expectation that the new Prime Minister Morarji Desai would come to Bombay in the next few days, and that he would be agreeable to meeting with Srila Prabhupada. But unless Desai came to see Srila Prabhupada, as was proper that a politician would seek out a sadhu, and not vice versa, Srila Prabhupada would not go to see him. Some disciples could go instead. (TkgD.16-17; Con:33.60-71)

APRIL 29:  J.P. Narayan was going to the USA for medical treatment, just having been released from jail and house arrest after 19 months. Srila Prabhupada "commented that he and J.P. had the same disease."Apparently J.P. Narayan had gone to Jaislok Hospital without being cured, the same hospital Dr. G. Ghosh had wanted Srila Prabhupada to go to. On April 5, Gopal Krishna and Giriraj had gone to visit Jaya Prakash Narayan in his hospital room. Srila Prabhupada concluded that hospitals and doctors were no guarantee of a cure, and that "under no condition should we ever allow anyone to take him to a hospital or administer drugs, even if he was unconscious. He would rather die."Srila Prabhupada ate only fruit on this day.(AK1) (TkgD.17; Con:33.75, Con:32.141)

AUTHOR'S COMMENT: There is a possible connection between J.P. Narayan and Srila Prabhupada in that both had the same ailment and a possible tie with Chandra Swami, the notorious Tantric and Ayurvedic sannyasi. Chandra Swami was closely connected to Indira Gandhi and her political intrigues, possibly being involved in the mysterious poisonings of imprisoned rival politicians rumored in the newspapers. Chandra Swami was also the source of at least some of the medicines which Srila Prabhupada was given. END COMMENT

"Srila Prabhupada had no regular doctor. From time to time a kaviraja might show up to give a diagnosis and some medicine. But Srila Prabhupada wouldn't take it very seriously." (Sat:6.294) Srila Prabhupada had low opinions of these kavirajas, and stopped taking their prescribed medicines, Ayurvedic or homeopathic, whenever they were bitter or produced ill effects.  Srila Prabhupada was more interested in preaching than health, which was determined by Krishna regardless of what doctors would do. Srila Prabhupada occasionally would speak of departing from this world, asking his disciples to manage everything nicely without spoiling the work He had done to establish the Krishna Consciousness movement.  Meanwhile, Srila Prabhupada wanted to concentrate on writing His books. (Sat:6.300)

Srila Prabhupada: But now you can take charge of all money, one or two or three of you, and let me remain free from all management. And only request is, don't spoil it… I can live without any food, simply taking these fruits. (AK1)  There is no difficulty… So, so far my physical necessity, there is no necessity of food… I have seen many men, for rising up, they require help.

Tamal: Oh, that's normal in old age. That's not unusual.

Srila Prabhupada: I can walk, there is no difficulty. But getting up…(AK11, A17)  I can, if I try, I can get up also.

Tamal: But why should you take that risk?

Srila Prabhupada: No, I shall not. I fell down (AK11,A17?) in Calcutta. That is bathroom, very slippery.

Later Srila Prabhupada said:"…mentally to keep the brain, little fruit, milk, is sufficient. So I may live on fruit or milk.(AK1) There is no difficulty. What is the use of taking chapatis and rice?"(Con:33.75-76)

APRIL 30: Srila Prabhupada:"We are not after any degrees like Ph.D. The only title we will accept is to be know as a pure devotee." During the massage, Srila Prabhupada directed preparation of a special vegetable. (TkgD.18-19)

Will be continued on Part 11

Srila Prabhupada left this mortal world on November 14, 1977.
But He lives forever in His instructions, and His followers will always live with Him.

"He reasons ill who tells that Vaishnavas die
While thou art living still in sound!
The Vaishnavas die to live, and living try
To spread the Holy Name around"
(Śrīla Bhaktivinoda Thākura)


Index - Overview